Minutes Central SAQA parlour meeting, Ottawa, Oct. 20th.
1-A small but successful meeting was held at Wabi Sabi in Ottawa. Thank you to Marie-France for hosting and doing a demo for us on Richard Gill paints. It was interesting and useful information and was very well received.
2-Pat Caffery gave us an update on current and upcoming sites for Synthesis II, before the tour is completed next year. Again big thanks go out to Pat for her continued significant efforts on this venture.
3-Creative Buffet as usual was inspiring. Heather brought a delightful SAQA auction piece; (“MY Tern” by Martha ) that she had purchased.
We were able to see Mary Pal’s “Equus” and cards of her “Upon Reflection”. We heard the wonderful story of her trip to the Crane foundation at Baraboo and the live auction of her donated piece.
Marie-France showed us some of her recent pieces that were of a similar genre to the piece accepted in Quilts=Art=Quilts.
Meredith Filshie showed a beautifully beaded piece of a tulip she had designed.
I showed two pieces with a new technique for me of silk organza overlay on painted fabric.
4-Discussion was held on “SAQA 2014 Anniversary Trunk Show” donations. We are encouraging everyone to participate.
Details are on the SAQA website.
· Quilted pieces must have three layers, and measure 10" high x 7" wide (25.4 x 17.8 cm) in a PORTRAIT orientation. All embellishments must fit within the 10" x 7" size.
· SAQA will mount artwork on a 12 x 9" black backing board.
· Quilts must lie flat, and fit within a clear envelope, therefore dimensional work will not be· allowed for this show.
· Edges of quilts must be finished. The method is at the artist's discretion (bound, stitched,· etc).
· All quilts must have a label on the back, with the title (or "Untitled") and artist's name clearly written
· Artwork must meet the SAQA definition of an art quilt: The art quilt is a creative visual work
· that is layered and stitched or that references this form of stitched layered structure.
· Quilts could travel for up to three years. They must stay with the Trunk during the entire exhibition period.
· Participation fee is $10 to cover cost of materials and return shipping. Pay the fee through the SAQA Store.
At the meeting Meredith said quilts could be dropped at Canada Beading Co. and I could collect them and send them all together from here or perhaps in conjunction with Bethany Garner from Kingston, if this can be easily coordinated in January.
5-My term as SAQA regional co-rep is scheduled to be up in Jan. Bethany Garner and Dwayne Warner are continuing on in their roles as coreps. We are seeking someone from the Ottawa area to apply for this position.
6-An energetic discussion was held on what things we expect from our local parlour meetings such as:frequency, topics for discussion, days of the week for meetings, technique oriented? Location suggestions, ….etc. I invite you to write me back directly with comments on these topics. A formal survey could be arranged, but I would like to try this approach first.
Sharon Collins email@example.com