Saturday, May 21, 2011

Installation Piece by Heather Dubreuil









This week a new medical centre opened in Hudson, Quebec, and yesterday the large art quilt Heather made for the venue was installed.








"It was a thrill to see the two workers erect scaffolding just for the placement of my art quilt. I watched as they carefully measured, installed, and adjusted, and I felt like Christo."





The piece measures about 90" square, and is tentatively titled "It's All That..." It is pinned to a double width of charcoal-gray fibreglass screening, with sleeves sewn in top and bottom.








Plexiglas bars were slipped into the sleeves and screwed into the wall. It has been placed at the top of the stairwell, so it can be seen by visitors as they go up and down the stairs, or wait for the elevator on the second floor. Track lighting will soon be installed to highlight it.





"At times, it felt quite alien in my studio, being so big, and I sometimes lost confidence that I was on the right track. But I like the colour palette and colour gradation, the irregularity of the edges, its modernity and ambiguity, and how it seems to suit the building as a whole. As you mount the stairs, it takes on the appearance of a stained-glass rose window. Two and a half months in the making, and I had good advice from artist friends all along the way."






Posted by L. Morin